The main activities of the Department of Cooperatives are as follows:
- Registration of Cooperatives.
- Regulation of cooperatives under Cooperative Act and Rules
- Audit and Inspection of Cooperatives.
- Election of Cooperatives.
- Disposal of disputes / appeals of Cooperative Institutes.
- Liquidation of Cooperative institute when it become inoperative and cancellation of their registration.
In addition to above purposes, the implementation of Government policy decisions which are taken in public interest and other public welfare schemes is also ensures. For that, The Registrar and its subordinate Additional Registrar, Joint Registrar, Deputy Registrar and Assistant Registrar are working the Department.